This evening, I invented this lovely salad with shredded black radish, carrots, soaked big raisins & lots more,.. I made a simple balsamic vinegar dressing & served it with fried tofu bits. It was a super delicious salad that was also Seasonal! Yum yum yum! It was very tasty! 🙂
And the special ingredient in this lovely shredded salad is: yes,…Black radish!
Read on what black radish is & how I made it! 🙂
What is Black radish, I hear you say? Black radish is a larger thicker vegetable that is family of the radish. It has a more pungent, crisp & sharper flavor then normal radishes. It’s flesh is white. It is family of the daikon, the white one, that is only produced in Summer. Black radish also known as Rammenas in Dutch is a very underused veggie in Belgium.
It has a dark, black skin. It has a diameter of 7 to 10 cm. Depending on the type, it can be long or round-shaped. Its flesh is crisp & white.
Black radishes are an excellent source of vitamin C and also contain potassium, iron and magnesium as well as vitamins A, E and B. They are also known for their ability to fight off infection and promote healthy digestive function. The Black radish also has raphanin which studies have shown to be beneficial in treatment of both under and overactive thyroid imbalances. Studies have shown that the leaves of the Black radish additionally have a liver detoxifying effect.
How to use?
It is up to you! Raw is great, like here in my salad. You can sauté it, boil it, you name it! 🙂 I read that it is great with yoghurt, salt, parsley & in my salad! 😉 Enjoy!
Recipe: For 3 persons
* For the salad:
1 big black reddish, weighted when peeled (200 gr ), cut up into bigger chunks, will get shredded in the food processor
5 big carrots, weighted unpeeled (240 gr ), each carrot cut up into 2, will get shredded in the food processor
1/4 heaped cup Jumbo dark raisins
25 gr chopped walnuts
1 very juicy ripe orange, peeled, white bits & pits removed, cut up into smaller chunks
200 gr firm tofu, well-drained & pressed if you need to, cut up into bite-sized chunks
Maldon sea salt
a fruity extra virgin olive oil
* For the dressing:
6 tablespoons fruity evoo ( extra Virgin Olive Oil)
2 tablespoons of a good aged dark balsamic vinegar
black pepper: 8 grins
Maldon sea salt: 1/8 teaspoon & a few pinches more
1. First, make your balsamic dressing. Take a larger jam pot & pour 6 tablespoons of that fruity evoo, 2 tablespoons of that aged balsamic vinegar in it. Add 8 grins of finely milled black pepper & 1/8 teaspoon of crushed Maldon sea salt in it.
2. Soak your big Jumbo dried raisins in hot just boiled water for 10 minutes to swell up & get warm. Drain, just before serving!
3. At the same time, toast your chopped walnuts in a dry pan on low heat until toasted on all sides & your kitchen will smell amazing! Turn heat off & set aside.
4. Take your food processor, place the fitted nod in & your finer shredder-disc. But the top lid back on. Place carrot pieces into fitted funnel & push with that plastic thing on your carrots to push them into the funnel while your machine is running! I did this on full power. Repeat this until all of your carrot pieces are finely shredded & used up. Empty your food processor & place the carrot shreds into a large serving bowl. Do the same with your peeled black radish pieces, until all used up.
5. Finally, add your peeled, chopped orange parts to the salad. Add toasted chopped nuts & soaked raisins too. Mingle everything together! Add some black pepper & some sea salt, but not too much. Fry your tofu bits in that same fruity evoo on high heat until browned & crisped on all sides. Season well with black pepper & some sea salt. Shake your dressing again up & down & check one last time. It was fab! Add 3 tablespoons of that dressing through your salad & serve instantly with the fried tofu bits!
This is a fabulous Seasonal salad with a bit sweet flavor of the orange, jumbo dark raisins & carrot, a more sharp flavor with the black radish & pungent balsamic dressing. It all goes beautifully together! 🙂 Enjoy! xxx
You also can find this tasty recipe on instructables here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Vegan-Gluten-free-Seasonal-salad-with-black-radish/
♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!
Follow me on Facebook too! 🙂