Yesterday, I made these stunning delicious sourdough bread rolls! I had 3 types of flours lying around that I needed to use up. It is an adapted recipe from myself.
I came up with these tasty bread rolls:
Recipe: For 10 sourdough bread rolls
190 gr active bubbly sourdough (I used an oat sourdough: This is a stiffer sourdough)
260 gr organic white flour (T 65)
100 gr organic kamut flour
150 gr organic 5 grain flour+ 3 flakes (Mine had wholemeal flours & white wheat flours in it.) My mix was Markal organic 5 grains + 3 flakes: White flour T 65, oat flour, rye flour, rice flour, wholemeal spelt flour, barley flakes, millet flakes, sesame & wheat gluten)
6 gr salt
300 ml warm water
- Take Kenwood major & place dough hook in. In the fitted bowl, add all ingredients & begin to mix it all in on low-speed aka number 2 for 3 minutes. Then, turn speed up to number 4 & knead dough for another 5 minutes.
- Take dough out of the bowl with help of a dough scraper. The dough will stick a bit but that is normal. Knead the dough by hand for another 2 minutes. I did the stretch & fold method a few times to strengthen the gluten within! I place a bread Silpat onto an oven rack. Weigh the dough. Mine was 1008 gr. I wanted to make 10 bread rolls so each roll weighted about 100 gr. Make them not too big because they will rise for about 6 hours & will get bigger! This is how I formed them.
- With dough scraper, divide the dough into 10 pieces, each weighing about 100 gr. Weigh them & form a round ball.
- Flatten each piece with your hand palm.
- Now, pull top side up & then fold it back into the middle of the dough piece.
- Then, pull the left side out & pull it back into the middle of the dough.
- Now, the bottom side, pull it & fold it back into the middle of the dough piece.
- Finally, pull the right side up & fold it back into the middle of the dough piece. This is all to stretchen the gluten within! Now, roll your bread roll into a round ball shape & with help of your fingers & hand, shape it all round, also on the base!
- Place each bread ball, spaced apart onto the bread Silpat. Scatter some of that 5 grain flour on top of each bread ball & place into a closed plastic bag in a warm place (like 21-22°C) to rise for 6 hours! They all will slowly rise!
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 220°C (428 F) for 10 minutes. After that, score your bread top, like the pattern you want. Smear the top & sides of each bread roll in with water. Lower the heat of the oven to 180°C (356 F) & bake for about 30-35 minutes. When ready, bread rolls are browned & risen. Tap on the bottom to see if they are baked through. If they sounds hollow, they are fully baked! Insert a thermometer & if the inside is 95°C & more, it is fully baked! Place onto a wire rack, to cool down completely. When ready, eat with a big smile on your face! 🙂 Yummy Yum! They won’t last for 2 days!
See these explaining photos:
You might like other sourdough bread rolls: