A few days ago, I made these lovely vegan strawberry einkorn cakes! They were absolutely the max!
They also make an ideal Food Gift! 🙂
I hear you say, what is einkorn, Sophie?
Einkorn is a type of ancient wheat.
Einkorn wheat (from German Einkorn, literally “single grain”) refers to wild species of wheat. Einkorn wheat was one of the first plants to be domesticated and cultivated. It has a high content of protein, phosphorous, vitamin B6 and potassium when compared to modern forms of wheat. It also has plenty of carotenoids. It enhances better digestion too. The low content of gluten in einkorn makes it easier to digest than modern wheat. It hasn’t been manipulated. This means that nutrients are better absorbed, ensuring that you have no tummy problems after eating any einkorn dish.
But because it is another form of gluten, people who are gluten-intolerant can digest it easily because it is different from normal gluten & it won’t show up in a gluten test! I read that. It is also know as einkorn in German, Petit épautre (Small Spelt) in French, Eenkoornmeel in my language aka Dutch.
I have made many baking dishes with einkorn flour to get to know this flour a bit more. You can’t just substitute einkorn flour for normal gluten full flour. It doesn’t work. I invented these yummy vegan strawberry einkorn cakes & made them to perfection.
- Beat less and at lower speed or by hand for lighter textures in cakes and muffin recipes.
- Einkorn flour doesn’t rise much in the oven, so I added baking powder in this lovely cake recipe.
Let’s see this yummy cake recipe on the inside:
Juicy, a bit spiced up & just lovely on its own or with a vegan café latte! 🙂
Recipe: For 8 smaller cakes
150 gr organic whole grain einkorn flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice (koekkkruiden in Dutch)
80 gr coconut sugar
1 sachet of 8 gr vanilla cane sugar
200 gr fresh hulled strawberries, quartered & few extra
2 flax eggs (Here I only used 2 tablespoons of ground flax + 4 tablespoons of water, mixed, left to stand for 10 minutes until thickened a bit)
75 ml sunflower oil
- Take a bigger bowl & sieve your flour & baking powder. Mix with a spoon. Add mixed spice, coconut sugar & vanilla cane sugar. Mix gently with a spoon. Add the quartered strawberries & fold them into the flour-sugar-spice mix until they are all covered.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C (fan oven) (320 F) for 10 minutes. If you have another oven it will be 180°C (356 F) In another smaller bowl ad flax eggs. Mix with a whisk & leave to stand for 10 minutes until thickened a bit. Add sunflower oil & whisk together.
- Pour wet ingredients to bowl with dry ingredients & mix. See that there are no lumps of flour left. Take a muffin-mini cake tray & line them with paper muffin tins.
- Fill your paper tins with the batter. See that there are equal amounts of strawberries in each mini cake! Top the extra strawberry pieces on top of some of the cakes & push them to the inside. Bake for about 25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven & take them out of the tray. Place them all on a wire rack to cool down completely! When cold, eat them just like that, just remove the outer paper & munch! Excellent with a vegan café latte! 🙂 Store them into a cookie-cake box! 🙂 You like what you see? SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL TO MY BLOG SOPHIE’S FOODIE FILES! It is free! Join 2,000 email subscribers! You also get my Free E-Book to download called Healthy Vegan Christmas!11 new unpublished healthy vegan recipes & 8/10 are also gluten-free! Join me! I have 2 versions of my E-Book: one for IMac, IPad, Iphone & 1 in PDF! Just click onto the photo below to get subscribed & to get my free E-book! Enjoy!