Today, I made these Festive Vegan Maple scones with pecans & cranberries! The scones itself are Vegan!! The maple’s butter is not! Maple butter is pure maple syrup with some added unsalted butter that is boiled, cooled & whipped into this tasty Canadian spread! Very rich but surely delicious! It is very sweet so it is good that my scones are not! 😉 So use it for a long time in small portions!
I just looovvveeee these tasty scones! I used white spelt flour in them & vegan margarine! They are also topped with a maple glaze! You will love them too, even as a nice breakfast in these lovely cold days before Christmas,…or they are great eaten as a nice brunch on Christmas day,…;)
Recipe: For 21 round scones
440 gr white spelt flour (3 +1/2 cups )
4 teaspoons of baking powder
88 gr pecans, cut up finely (1/2 cup + 1/8 cup)
50 gr of apple sweetened dried cranberries (1/3 cup )
160 gr vegan margarine, I used 100% Planta (1/2 cup + a bit less than 1/4 cup)
250 ml unsweetened soy milk (1 cup)
125 ml pure maple syrup, I used grade C, (1/2 cup) divided into 6 tablespoons + 2+ 1/2 tablespoons
* To serve: Canadian Maple Butter
1. Take 1 or 2 oven racks out of your oven & preheat it to 200° C ( 400 F ) for 10 minutes.
2. Place a sieve over a larger bowl. Sieve your spelt flour & baking powder. Mix lightly with a spoon. Fold pecan pieces & cranberries gently into the flour-baking powder mix. Now, add baking margarine & with help of your hands mix it together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Now, you have a crumbly dough. Add soy milk & 6 tablespoons of your maple syrup. Mix with a spoon. The dough will stick & is a bit wet.
3. Place the dough with floured hands on a well-floured Silpat. Use white spelt flour for this! Knead the dough for 5 to 6 times until you end up with a real elastic dough! You can use a bit more spelt flour to prevent sticking! Divide the dough into 2. With your hands, flatten the dough. You don’t need a rolling-pin, it is not necessary! My dough was about 1 to 2 cm thick. I used my round 5cm diameter cutter to make equal sized round scones!
4. Take an oven rack & place another unused Silpat or baking sheet on it. Place your scones, well spaced apart, on it. Prick the top of each scone, a few times, lightly with a fork. With the rest of your maple syrup, glaze aka brush the top & sides of each scone. Bake into the lower part of the oven for about 12-15 minutes until they are golden & browned. Take them out of the oven & repeat with the rest of the scone dough. When ready, test with a small pin, inside of the scone. If it comes out clean, they are ready! Now, carefully take them out of the oven & place on a wire rack to cool down completely! When completely cooled, place them in a lovely cake tin & enjoy, sliced open horizontally with some good Maple Butter or with something else!
Enjoy, my sweeties! ♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!! Get my free E-book: Healthy Vegan christmas too!
You might like: