Yesterday evening, I invented this divine white asparagus dinner with saffron sauce served with haddock & saffron spiced oven roasted new potatoes, with the skin on. This dairy-free saffron cream sauce is just divine & I served it on top of the oil fried white asparagus & drizzled that same sauce over my fish aka haddock! It was just the perfect dinner! My husband Peter said that we need to eat this dinner often, this asparagus season! 😉 I am happy to oblige,…so, check it all out! 🙂
Recipe: For 2 persons, with seconds
* For the oven-roasted saffron spiced new potatoes:
700 gr unpeeled, smaller new potatoes, well-washed, well-scrubbed, each cut up lengthways into 4
3 tablespoons of a fruity extra virgin olive oil ( evoo )
8 grins of finely milled black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of Maldon sea salt
20-25 grins of Santa Maria’s seafood & fish spice mix, with grinder inclusive. My spice mix had saffron, some salt, tomato, paprika, chili pepper, black pepper, white pepper, carrot, fennel, curcuma & lemon in it.
* For the fried haddock pieces:
2 x beautiful pieces of haddock fillets, cleaned, pad dry on kitchen paper
a fruity evoo to fry them in
Maldon sea salt
* For the oil fried white asparagus:
16 normal white asparagus
a fruity evoo
just a tiny bit of sea salt
* For the dairy-free saffron cream sauce:
2 Maggi gluten-free vegetable stock gels, each 24 gr, so 48 gr in total
250 ml hot water
200 ml soy cream
0,1 gr of saffron powder
some black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C ( 428 F ) for 10 minutes. I always use a fan oven. Adjust your oven to the right temperature. In a non-stick roasting oven pan, place your cut up potatoes, in 1 layer in it. Divide your saffron spices all over them, evenly divided, about 20 grins. Scatter your sea salt over them & do so too with your black pepper. Drizzle your 3 tablespoons of that fruity evoo all over it & with clean hands, mingle everything together! Finally, add some 5 grins of that saffron mix over the top & don’t mingle it at all! 🙂 Place in the center of the hot oven & roast for about 30 minutes. The first 15 minutes on 220°C ( 428 F) & then 15 minutes on 200°C ( 392 F )! Your potato pieces must be golden brown, smell wonderful & must be cooked through!!!! Turn oven off & leave in the oven.
2. In the meantime, place your white asparagus in front of you. At the end of each white asparagus, there is a hard wooden like bottom, about the last 2 to 3 cm. Break the hard end off & peel each asparagus from nearly from the top to the bottom, on all sides, leaving the creamy delicate white top whole, it will look something like this:
Now, take a large fitted pan, like a Creuset, a cast-iron one, pour 2 tablespoons of that same fruity evoo in it & heat up on high. When hot, place your neat clean peeled asparagus, all besides each other in the hot oil. Lower your heat & fry them on all sides until cooked through & browned. Test with a fork. I have a gas fire. It only took me about 5-8 minutes. Turn often & prevent burning, of course! Place a fitted lid on to keep warm. It will look something like this:
3. In the meantime, make your saffron cream sauce. Take a fitted pot & add your 2 vegetable stock cube-gels. Add your hot water & whisk away! Now, add your soy cream & saffron powder & whisk, whisk, whisk! Let the sauce reduce a bit but not too much! You still want a more runny sauce, like picture above, in the beginning of the post! Just at the end, add some grins of finely milled black pepper. Keep warm.
4. Finally, pan fry your haddock pieces into hot oil on both sides. Add some sea salt & fresh grins of black pepper. When ready, plate up instantly! Take a large clean white plate & add your fish on one side, besides that the saffron spiced roasted new potato wedges, then onto each plate, 6 oil fried asparagus & then drizzle the saffron cream sauce over your asparagus & over your cooked fish too! Enjoy instantly with a loved one! MMM,…I assure you that you want more sauce on your asparagus & on your fish too! 😉
Stay tuned, Subscribe by email through the link below to get my new cool newsletters aka posts! Join 1,800 email Subscribers! It is free!