Yesterday, I received a whole bunch of fresh rhubarb from a neighbour’s garden! I made this lovely Vegan & Gluten-free tasty rhubarb chocolate compote yesterday afternoon. It needed to be in the fridge overnight to let the flavours mingle & to get a bit thicker.
I also began making a home-made rhubarb, ginger vodka but it need to be in a sterilized bottle for 1 month. I need to shake the bottle up & down each day. I need to store it in a dark cupboard for 1 month. So, if you have a lot of rhubarb to use up, make my tasty rhubarb chocolate compote to begin with,…or make this soon to be lovely rhubarb-ginger vodka! I will give you updates soon,…
First, my rhubarb chocolate compote recipe:
For 3 smaller jam pots:
1 kg or cleaned rhubarb, cut into 2 cm pieces
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
coconut sugar: 9 tablespoons
chocolate shavings, at least 74% cacao, 8 to 9 tablespoons
2 teaspoons of gluten-free vanilla extract/ I used home-made
1 tablespoon of water
1. Take a large cooking pot & add all of your ingredients in it, like this:
& cook on a medium fire until it all comes together & it forms sort of a compote. Stir often. Do not let the sugar burn!! Lower your heat if you need to. It took my gas fire about 10 to 13 minutes until it was just sublime. With this amount of coconut sugar, your compote will be a bit sweeter but not too sweet either. I used normal green-red rhubarb for this but if you only use the red rhubarb stalks, you will need less coconut sugar! When your compote has been cooled a bit, pour it into lovely jam pots with fitting lid & place in the fridge to cool down completely, at least for 8 hours or overnight. The next day, your compote is really yummy & a bit thicker. You can taste the lovely rhubarb, a hint of cinnamon & a lovely chocolate taste! 😉 MMMM!
How to use up?
1. It is lovely on its own, eaten with a lovely spoon, straight from the jar.
2. It is great swirled in a lovely soy or coconut yoghurt.
3. It is great on crackers or on toasted sourdough bread,…mmmm!
Now, for this tasty rhubarb-ginger vodka, in progress,…
Recipe: For 1/2 bottle of rhubarb-ginger vodka/ This mix is not Gluten-Free because of the vanilla extract & the vodka, of course!
You will need to have a sterilized bottle, like mine above or a bigger one so that you can double my recipe & a sterilized lid screw. You can do that by placing them, one cycle in the dishwasher or to boil them for 10 minutes & to use them instantly.
250 gr cleaned rhubarb, cut into 1 to 2 cm pieces
115 gr white sugar
3 cm freshly peeled ginger, cut into smaller pieces
350 ml of a good vodka, I used Eristoff
zest of 1 unwaxed orange, ( no white bits please! )
1. Place every ingredient in this sterilized bottle & screw the lid, well back on. Label your bottle & shake your bottle up & down & place it in a dry dark cupboard for 1 month. Shake your bottle up & down a few times, each day. The next steps, I will share with you later,… Bye for now & enjoy, your rhubarb chocolate compote!,…:)♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!