Yesterday evening, I made this tasty & easy to prepare dinner. From beginning to ending, It took me 30 minutes. It was a wonderful combo of spices & saffron, combined with whole-wheat bulgur & fresh mint. I served it with sautéed green young courgettes ( zucchini ) & oven roasted whiting fillets.
The whole-wheat bulgur recipe is a recipe from a new book that I bought recently. It is called in Dutch:Veggie for starters! It is made by Miki Duerinck & Kristin Leybaert!
The rest of the recipe is my own invention! Recently, I am trying to eat more whole grains & different grains, tofu combinations & more veggies too. This book was exactly wat I was searching for! This book in only in Dutch!
This is the front cover of the book:
Above picture from their website!
Read on, what i thought about the book & some recipes,…
These women are very well-known in Belgium. They had a vegetarian restaurant in Gent, Flanders for a very long time. They sold their famous restaurant & began on a new journey together. They have a business called in Dutch: De Vegetarische Kook studio & give workshops & have a tiny restaurant too. This isn’t their 1st book! I think it is their 4th book already! I also have another book from them.
This book is divided into the following sections: Appetizers, Soups, Main Dishes, Sides, Creating tasty dishes using seeds & nuts, Discovering legumes, peas & pods, All different kinds of soy bean derivations, How to re-invent meat the vegetarian way, Pasta dishes, Sauces, Tapenades & Veggie patés & Desserts! Examples of some titles are : Creamy parsnip soup with pear & coconut milk, Witloof tart with oyster mushrooms, Empanadas with spiced sweet potatoes, Italian nut balls with olives & sun-dried tomatoes, Oatmeal lentil cookies with mint, Seitan Cordon bleu & parsnips, Lasagne with leeks & pumpkin, Green quinoa salad, Lentil salad with mushrooms, Wok with witloof & ginger, Cucumber & tarragon dressing, Aioli of silken tofu, Spiced carrot paté, Bread pudding with pumpkin, White chocolate red berries tart with speculaas! Now, those titles are mouth-watering, no?
I have made 2 dishes of this fantastic & wonderful book & I love it! My husband agrees here with me! There are amazing & very inventive recipes in the book & you can combine them beautifully together,…It really works! I also made this tasty dish, found on page 75. It is called: Wokked tofu with Spring veggies. It is spicy marinated tofu with wokked Spring veggies but I served it with Gluten-Free 100% brown rice noodles instead of Thai rice!
75 % of the recipes are vegan & 50% are vegetarian! There are 194 amazing recipes in this lovely cook book! It is all about discovering new flavours & how to combine them beautifully into a new dish, each time, each chapter. This book is top-notch!
The recipe: For 2 persons
* For the whole-wheat bulgur, my adapted version:
1/2 big white onion, peeled & cut into pieces
a fruity olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
25 gr pine nuts
100 gr whole-wheat bulgur
1 part of ground saffron
1 + 1/2 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
1 + 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Maldon sea salt
* For the sautéed green courgettes:
2 smaller green young courgettes,cleaned & cut into thicker rings & then each ring into 4
fruity olive oil
* For the oven roasted whiting fillets:
2 fresh large whiting filets, cleaned & pad dry on kitchen paper
fruity olive oil, the same as above
1 slice of an unwaxed lemon
1. Preheat your oven to 200° C ( 400 F ) for 10 minutes. In the meantime, take a medium cookpot, add some fruity olive oil & heat up on medium high. When hot, add onion, cinnamon, coriander & pine nuts, stirring often. After a few minutes, add saffron, ww bulgur, pepper & some sea salt. Stir often. Fry for a few minutes. Add some olive oil extra, if you need to. Pour 400 ml of boiling water to the bulgur combo & cook bulgur on lower heat until al dente & soft, with the lid on. Stir often. Nearly all the water will be cooked off. Taste! Of the heat, add mint, raisins & lemon juice & retaste. Add some black pepper & sea salt, if you need to.
2. When the oven is hot, place your 2 whiting fillets in a non-stick oven dish & brush the tops with that same oil & some black pepper & sea salt, according to your taste but not too much sea salt! Place on top of the fish, in the middle, 1 slice of the unwaxed lemon. Place into hot oven & roast for about 10 to 15 minutes. When ready, check if the fish is just cooked through. Turn oven off.
3. In the meantime, while the bulgur & fish are cooking, heat a pan on higher heat & pour a few drizzles of fruity oil in it. When hot, add courgettes & fry until browned & cooked through, on both sides! Season with sea salt & black pepper. When ready, pour the courgettes onto a plate with a double layer of kitchen paper, to dip off the excess of oil. Serve instantly with a loved one, see plate above!
♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!
Follow me on Facebook too! 🙂