Yesterday, I bought fresh whiting fillets at my local fishmongers’. I wanted to make my own spice rub to put on top of the fish fillets. I marinated the fish fillets tops for 2 hours with the rub! I served them with a spiced up broccoli & potato mash. I did it this way!
Recipe: For Sophie’s spiced mix rub = 33 gr.
Make this dry spice rub now & use it in this tasty recipe:
3/4 teaspoon of Maldon sea salt flakes, crushed
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of spiced curry powder
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika, the dulce version ( this is the milder variety )
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
10 grins of finely milled black pepper
1. Take a medium bowl & ad every spice. Mix with a little whisk. Place into a fitted pot with fitted lid. Keep dry. You need 2 tablespoons for this fish recipe ( not a fishy recipe though) !
Recipe: For the dinner:
** For the whiting fillets: ( you want to marinate the whiting fillets 2 hours before dinner!!! )
2 fresh whiting fillets, together they are 380 gr, cleaned with water, pad dry on kitchen paper
2 tablespoons of Sophie’s dry spiced rub ( recipe above !)
a fruity extra virgin olive oil : 2 to 3 tablespoons ( evoo )
** For the broccoli & potato mash:
540 gr of potatoes, peeled, each potato & cut into 2
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 big head of broccoli, about 440 gr, washed, cleaned & cut into florets, big main stalk removed ( weighted when cut up )
1 medium white onion, peeled & cut into fine wedges
2 fat cloves of garlic, finely minced
dried mixed smaller chili flakes, in a grinder
Maldon sea salt
a splash of unsweetened soy milk
1. 2 hours & 10 minutes before dinner, prepare your fish fillets. Take 2 large clean plates. See that one fish fillet fits onto 1 big plate. Pour your fruity EVOO in a mug. With a silicon pastry brush, brush the topside of each fillet with the fruity oil. Smear 1 tablespoon of the Sophie’s dry rub all over the surface of each whiting fillet. Spread it around with clean fingers. If you have some rub left, from that 1 tablespoon, smear the back top, firstly in with some of that fruity evoo & smear the rest of that rub onto the back of the fish fillet, like this:
2. Do the same with the other whiting fillet, also using 1 tablespoon of dry rub. Do the same, if you have any leftover dry rub, from your 1 tablespoon. Like above here/ It will all looks like this:
3. Place cling film over the top of each fish plate & place into the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours!
4. Just before making dinner, boil your potatoes with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder added. Boil until tender. Drain well. Mash. Add a splash of unsweetened soy milk & a knob of baking margarine. Add some Maldon sea salt & 10 grins of finely milled black pepper. Mix. Keep warm. In the meantime, boil your broccoli parts in boiling water with dried chili flakes & some sea salt. You want the broccoli parts to be aromatised with the dried chili flakes. This will be about 1/2 teaspoon max. My dried chili flakes come in a grinder. They will be ready after 5 minutes or so. Drain well & add with the mashed potatoes. Mash. Using the same hot pot, heat up on medium high. Add 2 knobs of baking margarine & let it melt. Add the chopped onion & garlic & fry until browned & cooked through. Add some sea salt & 8 grins of black pepper. Stir often. When ready, add to the broccoli & potato mash. Mix well with a spoon & taste! It has to taste fabulous, a bit spicy & tasty! Check the seasoning. Add some dried chili flakes if you need to, to add some more punch. I added 7 grins! Taste again. Keep warm.
5. Now, heat a non-stick large pan on high fire. When hot, add a swirl or 4 of that same fruity evoo & heat up. Place your fish fillets, with the rub on down, into the hot pan & fry them on this side for about 3 to 4 minutes, carefully turn the fish fillets over & fry them for another 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish fillets!!! You don’t want to overcook the fish! Check often. Turn the heat off & place a fitting lid on to keep warm. Now, plate up! Take 2 lovely plates & with an ice-cream scoop, scoop 3 balls out of your spiced broccoli & potato mash. Do the same with the other plate. Carefully, take a fish fillet out of the pan & place besides the mash, onto each plate. Enjoy, my friends! 🙂 MMM!
Stay tuned, Subscribe by email through the link below to get my new cool newsletters aka posts! Join 1,850 email Subscribers! It is free!
Follow me on Facebook too! 🙂
Sophies Foodie Files
You might like: