Yesterday, I made this tasty & easy vegan double ginger & rhubarb jam. It is a very tasty jam. I used freshly peeled ginger & stemginger in syrup in here. I also added juices of 1 lemon & of 1 orange in here! Yummy! These are great as a special food gift, especially for food & ginger lover’s.
Recipe: For about 2 litres of jam
1 kilo of fresh rhubarb, cleaned & cut into 2 cm pieces / I used rhubarb from my father’s garden, weighted when cleaned
1 kilo of jam sugar
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 orange
1 piece of fresh ginger: 6 cm long & 2.5 cm think, peeled & finely cut up
100 gr of stemginger in syrup, drained & cut into finer pieces
600 ml water
1. Take a large cooking pot, add rhubarb, water, juice of 1 lemon, juice of 1 orange, jam sugar & freshly cut up fresh ginger. Stir well with a wooden spoon & boil until it all comes together & has been cooked down a lot. I had to cook it for about 20 to 25 minutes. Lower your fire if you need to. When the jam has been cooked to your liking, add the cut up stemginger pieces & cook for a further 5 minutes. Do the fridge test. This means, take a spoon & place the jam in it. Put it onto a plate & place into the fridge for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, if the jam has set then the jam is ready to pour into clean & sterilised jam pots. If not, boil the jam further for 5 minutes or so & do the same test again until the jam has set!!
How to sterilize jam pots?
1/ You can easy sterilize them by putting them 1 turn in your dishwasher. Use the hot pots instantly. Do not dry them but let them drain the water off on a clean towel. Fill the jam pots, nearly all the way up. Be careful, the jam is really hot!!! I use a spoon to help me or pour the hot jam in a pouring container to help you! Screw the lid on & place them upside down to cool off completely.
2/ You can cook the pots & lids for 10 minutes into boiling water & use them instantly. Do not dry them on the inside but let them drain the water off, on a clean towel. Fill them up & place the lid on well. Turn them upside down to cool off completely.
2. When they are all cooled down, turn them around & make the jam pots pretty to give as lovely food gifts, all home-made!
3. This jam is so tasty on fresh bread or add it to a vegan coconut or cashew yoghurt. This is equally tasty on cakes or serve it with freshly baked scones! The uses are endless! 🙂 Happy Eating! Enjoy the flavours even more by drinking a lovely ginger tea with this amazingly tasty jam!
This is a recipe from Yvette Van Boven from the cookbook: Home-made!
And now, for something completely different. Recently, I received a lot of beautiful awards from new & old foodie friends. I think now is the time to give them all the credit they deserve!!! 🙂
I received this lovely blog award twice, once from my new friend: Emily cooks vegan
She is a student who lives & cooks vegan. Her recipes are very doable, are inspiring to me & taste just great! 🙂 I love her food,…can you tell that I am a fan? So will you,..go over to her blog & check her out! 😉 Thank you so much & one other time from my new friend Lauren@ Onehappytable .
She lives in the USA & she is a vegan & her blog is all about doable, healthy & fun vegan recipes for the family! She makes vegan foods look cool & truly appetizing too! 🙂 A huge thank you, my friend!
Here are a few rules about this lovely blog award:
- Paste the award image on your blog, anywhere.
- Tell them 7 facts about yourself.
- Thank the persons who gave you this award! I just did ( see above )
- Pass the award on to 15 more bloggers that You enjoy / I restrict myself to 10 bloggers!
- Contact the bloggers that you have chosen to let them know that they have been nominated!
1. I love cooking & baking on some good music. I can cook on different kinds of music. I adore Limp Bizkit & Linkin Park but also can enjoy Angie Stone, Joss Stone, Mary J. Blige, Red Hot Chili Peppers , Jay-Z , John Legend & excellent jazz, all types,….and my favourite band of all time is Within Temptation, a Dutch metal Goth band! But I am not a goth, you know!!
2. Since june 2006, I am a chronic pain patient. I have chronic pain in my right leg & in both my arms. I am in pain all day long, that’s why I don’t work anymore for the moment because it isn’t possible. I hope I can learn to live more comfortably with it, in the future,…I can do some voluntary work in a home nearby for about 7 hours per week. It is the most I can do & I enjoy it thoroughly!
3. My favourite colours are: yellow & mild red!
4. I am in love with the Spanish culture, their language & their music. I am in my 3rd year of Spanish.
5. I have over more than 200 cookbooks & I read them like thrillers! I have a lot of English & Spanish cookbooks.
6. I love baking all sort of different cookies. I have more than 120 cookie cutters. I bought 100 of them once in Salisbury, Uk in a cookery shop, when I was there on holiday. When I am visiting a food or cookery shop , I am always on the look out for new cookie cutters that I don’t have. My favourites of this moment are: an elephant, captain hook with a wooden leg & no arm, a clown’s head & a knight on his horse!
7. By now you know that I am a real foodie. I love travelling & seeing new places, villages, meeting new people from all around the world. I have inherited my cooking & baking skills from my late grand mother. She was my father’s mother. I have her creative skills. She cooked & baked with me when I was a kid. Sadly, she died when I only was 13 years old.
8. I am always thinking about food & thinking what I will be making for supper or the day after & the day after that,…Sometimes, I drives my husband crazy! I am inspired by everything & everyone!
Rules of this glorious award are:
1. Copy the Beautiful Blogger Award logo and place it in your post.
2. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
3. Tell 6 things about yourself.
4. Nominate 6 other bloggers for their own Beautiful Blogger Award, and comment on their blogs to let them know.
The 7 things about me:
1. By now you know that I am a real foodie. I love travelling & seeing new places, villages, meeting new people from all around the world.
2. I am an only child. It didn’t bother me a lot when I was growing up because I had a lot of friends to play with. I had a lot of neighbour kids of my age. Now, when I am older,…I kind of miss brothers or sisters, I think.
3. I love blogging. It has been about 3.5 years since I started blogging. I even posts my comments in Spanish at a lot of blogs. I love making new friends through blogging! It has been such a great & grand experience! I learned a lot about different cultures through their food.
4. I also loved the Pay It Forward Package events. I had the chance to receive such a package from Sydney from Lorraine aka Not Quite Nigella. She had chosen Australian bush spices & products ,etc. It has been such a great adventure creating new recipes with unique foods from Australia! I also have sent 2 packages from Belgium to USA & to France.
I will give this lovely award to the following people & blogs:
1. Lauren @ Onehappytable. She lives in the USA, she is a vegan & her blog is all about doable, healthy & fun vegan recipes for the family! She makes vegan foods look cool & truly appetizing too! 🙂
2. Koko @ Kokoskitchen. She has been my friend since I started blogging 3 + 1/2 years ago. She lives nearby Vancouver, Canada. We already swapped food gifts. She makes healthy foods, takes awesome food pictures & enjoys life very much!
3. Emily @ Emilyscooksvegan. She is a student, a vegan & loves food & life. Her recipes are very doable, are inspiring to me & taste just great! 🙂 I love her food,…can you tell that I am a fan?
4. Candy@ Lovelybuns. She is a Scot living in the Alsace, France & loving it deeply. She bakes her heart out & is loving it too!,..;So are we! Her creations are so doable & made with tons of love! 🙂
5. Elle @ Elle’s vegan food diary . She is a vegan & lives in Vancouver, Canada. Her fun is about fun in the kitchen. She is very inventive & makes me smile a lot! 🙂
6. Madison@ Veggieful. She is a 21-year-old vegan & lives in Australia. She cooks, eat & lives vegan & is passionate about it. Her recipes rock my taste buds. She is also engaged to the lovely Jerome.
Her food makes me smile! 🙂
Stay tuned, Subscribe by email through the link below to get my new cool newsletters aka posts! Join 1,850 email Subscribers! It is free!