Recipe: For 4 persons
Ingredients: The crumble is vegan but the custard is NOT!! Make your own vegan custard or enjoy with a vegan nut milk ice-cream!
** For the crumble topping:
100 gr cold vegan baking margarine, I use Planta
100 gr light spelt flour / I used Sharpham Park Organic British light spelt flour
75 gr unrefined coconut sugar
75 gr speculaas cookies ( They are vegan), crumbled 75% into thicker pieces & 25 % into a fine powder/ I use Lotus speculaas/ In America, you call it: Biscoff cookies! It is a Belgian product!!!
** For the fruit filling:
600 gr fresh cleaned rhubarb, cut into pieces, each 2 to 3 cm long
1 teaspoon of ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
85 gr coconut sugar
3 tablespoons water
** To serve: Hot Devon custard ( Devon custard heated up )
1. Take a larger cooking pot & place all of your rhubarb pieces, coconut sugar, ginger powder, cinnamon powder & 3 tablespoons of water in it. Heat up on medium high. Stir often. Let the rhubarb cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until nearly soft. You want to have rhubarb pieces that just aren’t cooked yet. They will be nearly ready. You can prick a fork in them, nearly all the way through. The rhubarb will cook further into the hot oven for 20 minutes. Place a fitting lid on & set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 200° C ( 400 F ) for 10 minutes. I always use a fan oven. Adjust your oven to the right temperature.
3. Make your crumble topping. Take a large bowl & place all of the ingredients for the crumble topping in it. With clean hands, mix everything together until it is crumbled. DO NOT OVERMIX! See this picture:
4. Assemble the crumble. Take a deeper & fitting oven dish & place the hot rhubarb mix in it! Scent the aroma’s!! Crumble your crumble topping all over the surface of your rhubarb, like this:
& place into the oven & bake for about 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown & the rhubarb mix has been cooked through & bubbling! I baked my crumble for 13 minutes on 200 ° C ( 400 F ) & then turned it down at 175° C ( 166 F ) for another 7 minutes. When nearly ready, heat up your Devon custard until to your liking! We like to eat it hot! Let you crumble stand for about 5 minutes otherwise you will burn yourself! We don’t want that!!
Now, plate up. Take a large piece & place it into a dessert bowl & pour the hot custard over or besides it! Enjoy instantly with a loved one! Success guaranteed! 🙂 Happy eating! 🙂
Stay tuned, Subscribe by email through the link below to get my new cool newsletters aka posts! Join 1,850 email Subscribers! It is free!
Follow me on Facebook too! 🙂
Sophies Foodie Files
You might like other rhubarb recipes:
3. Rhubarb & strawberry crumble, is gluten-free & dairy-free!