A divine & good for you spelt vegan rhubarb cake with chocolate chips! Yum Yum!
A lovely & healthy vegan spelt rhubarb cake with chocolate chips!
Yesterday, I made this tasty vegan invented rhubarb cake with DF chocolate chips. I used light spelt flour to make it much healthier. I also used a vegan buttermilk. This cake looks stunning, right?
I used a silicon baking form because I only bake with silicon baking materials because it is so easy to use. You don’t have to grease the moulds & you let the cake sit for 10 minutes in the baking tin for a lovely shine on your cake, after baking. That’s typical for silicon baking. It also comes out very easily too.🙂 This cake is divine ,eaten still a bit warm or cold with a good cup of tea.
Recipe: For 1 medium flower cake/ this means about 7 to 8 pieces
1/2 cup of soy milk
1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract/ I use home-made
3/4 cups of coconut blossom sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened soy yoghurt/ to substitute 1 egg
1 cup + 2/4 cups organic light spelt flour/ I used Sharpham Park Organic British light spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon of Maldon sea salt flakes, crushed
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 heaped cup off chopped up rhubarb + 1 heaped 1/2 cup of rhubarb/ cut into smaller pieces
1/2 cup of dairy-free milk chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon of speculaas spices / I buy mine in a little closable sachet but you can make your own like this:
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon,
1 tablespoon ground cloves,
1 tablespoon ground ginger,
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg &
1 tablespoon ground cardamom.
Mix all the spices well together & place in a fitting bowl & screw the lid well on. Shake well until all joined. Use 1/4 teaspoon for this recipe!
Enjoy!! It works really well!!!
1. First make your vegan buttermilk. Take your soy milk & add 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix well with a mini whisk. Let it stand on room temperature for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 170° C ( 325 F ) for 10 minutes. I always use a fan heated oven. Adjust your oven to the right temperature.
3. I use my Kenwood. I put the K-paddle in. Place the fitting bowl & add sugar & soy yoghurt. Mix for a few moments to combine beautifully.
4. In another bowl, add the flour, the salt, the baking soda & the baking powder, all evenly divided. Mix well with a spoon. Now, add the flour mix gradually to the sugar mix. Let the machine turn, mix continuously & add some of the flour mix & wait until it comes together & then add some more, etc, etc. Turn the machine up a bit for a thorough mix. Scrape the sides & turn again.Now, add the vanilla & turn again. Add the vegan buttermilk, gradually until it is all emulsified.
5. Add the rhubarb pieces, chocolate chips & speculaas spices. Mix well until it all comes together. Mix & scrape down the sides. My chocolate chips got stuck on the sides of my bowl. I don’t know why? Divide the chips well into the batter.
6. Place your flower patterned silicon tin on a Silpat & on an oven wire rack for stability. Now, pour the batter all over the sides & in the silicon mould. If there are chocolate chips left on the bottom of your Kenwood pot, place them all in your mould, equally divided. Place in the center of your oven & bake for about 45 to 55 minutes. I checked after 40 minutes. The middle of my cake wasn’t ready & still undercooked so I added 10 minutes. I added another 5 minutes & tested with a small test pin & my cake was finally ready.
Carefully, place your wire rack out of the oven. Leave the cake to rest for about 10 minutes in your silicon mould. Then, carefully remove it & place it on a wire rack to cool down completely.
My cake could break easily, so be careful. When cold, transfer to a chopping board & slice up. Devour it & be proud of your glorious creation!🙂 I assure that you want more than 1 piece!😉 Happy eating!🙂
Stay Tuned! If you liked this post & want more of them, join 1,217 email followers! Subscribe by email! It is free!
Follow me on Facebook too!🙂
Sophies Foodie Files
You might like other rhubarb recipes on my blog:
Comments are closed.