the next stop:
2. This is the Sint- Gorikshallen. This beautiful restaurated building dates from 1881. Now, it is an informative and an exposition center. these are some great expostions in here. It also includes a bar on the inside and on the outsides. At night, there are parties in the basement. It is situated only within a 2 minutes walk from The Beurs. (stockmarket )
You can find it at Sint-Goriksplein 23, 1000 Brussel ( see map later )
Just opposite this building you will find the drawing of Marc Sleen, about the adventures of Nero, his friends and family. Nero is a well known Flemish strip cartoon. In Brussels city center, you will find a lot of painted drawings of heroes from the comic world on part of buildings, houses, etc. We even have a strip museum, our own Belgian comics museum.
A strip in Flemish is a comic.
3. This bar, Brasserie du Lombard is situated in the gay area in Brussels city center.
You can find this bar, where the coffee & the beers are great, at Lombaardstraat 1, 1000 Brussel. Next to it, at your right, you can find another lovely drawing. ( see map later )
4. Not far from the Lombaardstraat, you will find the Zuidstraat. In this street are great shops, like the tiny cheese shop Catherine. It is situated at Zuidstraat 23, 1000 Brussel.
Every day from 8.30 am till 7 pm, except on Sundays they are closed.
( see map later )
Here, a mother Marie – José de Sloovere, runs this tiny & fab cheese shop, allready for 57 years, since 1953, together with her daughter Catherine. They are well known here in Brussels. They only sell the best quality cheeses, lovely fresh baguettes, fresh breads, lovely wines, great jams, speculaas
andfilled cheese sandwiches at noon for lunch.
They only buy their products directly at the maker, at farms, etc. You can taste the difference! Catherine will inform you of the whereabouts of the cheeses and let you taste them. They are also very friendly! Never say a cheese is just a cheese!
5. In the longrun of this street, this street changes his name to Tabora straat. There is another great cheese shop here at your right hand Le petit Normand, Tabora straat 8, 1000 Brussel. This is also a tiny quality cheese cheese shop. They sell all sorts of cheeses and also a lot of sheep’s cheeses. ( see map later )
6. The same owners have just opposite the shop also a charcuterie shop, also called Le petit Normand, but Charcuterie. Tabora straat 5, 1000 Brussel. ( see map later )
is a french word, meaning that they sell here all kinds of cold cuts of meat, this is the branch of cooking devoted to prepared meat products like bacons, hams, sausages, terrines, galantines, pâtés & confits primarly originating from pork.
Just click on the words above like charcuterie, galantine, pâté and confit , just above here and you will find the explanation in English on Wikipedia. They all explain it very well.
They sell al sorts and sizes of cold sausages from various parts of Europe, like finely sliced Serrano ham, finely sliced Pata Negra, various sorts of bacon and pâtés. You also can buy excellent wines and jams to savour with these tasty delicacies, so that you can go on a pic-nic!
7. Not far from here, you will find a big Asian supermarket, the Kam Yuen, situated at
Zwarte Lievevrouwstraat 2, 1000 Brussel. ( see map later ) Open? See picture later!
It is the best and largest asian supermarket in Brussels. It is huge, with lots of asian sauces, spices, all sorts of noodles, fresh vegetables, fresh salted eggs, fresh and dried fruits, canned foods, asian cooking ware like all sorts of woks, ceramic serving bowls, chopsticks, etc. They also sell asian beverages like sakés, beers and wines. They sell asian snacks and a lot of frozen foods. This is a sort of foodie heaven!
Just see for yourself:
8. A bit further away, lies another great shop. It is called: Tout l’or du monde ( all the gold in the world ). You can find it at Plattesteen 7, 1000 Brussel. ( see map later )
This is a fair trade shop
where they sell all sorts of fine blends of tea, good coffees, great Belgian fair trade chocolates, all kinds of biscuits, fruit jams, red quinoa, many types of rices and pasta’s, cosmetics, tablewear … and you can savour here freshly made filled empanadas, home made quiches, fresh soups, home made desserts, teas, coffees, fruit juices and other beverages from the shop. They also sell fresh bio stevia plants
! They even sell a few gluten free products! This is one lovely & cosy shop.
From Tuesday till Saturday from 10.30 am till 7 pm.
Friday from 10.30 am till 8.30 pm.
Monday’s they are closed.
You can eat in this tasty shop at noon from 12 am till 2 pm.
I drank a lovely green tea with ginger and lime. Lovely! It cost me 2.20 Euros. But you have 2 filled cups for that! It is cheaper then I thaught. Tomorrow, I will be back to savour a soup and an empanada! That’s for sure!
Here is a good map from Brussels where you can find easily these adresses.
Every adress has a pop up. Zoom in and out like you want to. You can even click on google earth. The streetnames are in Dutch.
A few of my most lovely shops in Brussels weergeven op een grotere kaart
You might like:
1. A few of my most lovely shops, places, streets in Brussels & beyond: part 3
2. A few of my favourite shops: part 2
3. A few of my favourits shops: part 1
4. Stonemanor, my favourite UK shop
Stay Tuned! If you liked this post & want more of them, join 1,219 email followers! Subscribe by email! It is free!
Follow me on Facebook too! :)
Sophies Foodie Files