About 2 weeks ago, I made my own fresh fava bean spread. I topped it with smoked salmon & with home-grown garden cress. When I saw the guacamole post on The love of cooking, I knew I had to make some version of it. Pam has made hers for many many years & it has been a huge success. I took away a couple of things & made this. So, I think you can’t call it a guacamole anymore but my husband & I loved it! Thanks , Pam!
The fava bean spread is my own recipe.
Recipe: For 2 smaller bowls of each fave bean spread & sort of guacamole, enough to feed 6 persons
** For the fave bean spread:
shelled fava beans , out of their long pods. Do not use black or damaged beans. They must be green grey in colour & will have to be firm. Only 1 time shelled, 288 gr shelled . When you have boiled them & put them in ice water to stop the cooking process, again you shell them the 2nd time, you only will end up with 145 gr. That were the grams in my case!
2 fat cloves of fresh young garlic, peeled &cut into smaller pieces
1. In the 1st picture, you see the long pods, closed, like you buy them on the market. You can’t eat the long & harder outer shells. You have to open them with the help of a knife & flip them out in a bowl. This is a lot of work!
2. 2nd picture is the fava beans that you will get out of the long pods. You can’t eat them yet. Maybe when the pods are very young & homegrown . This is after 1 peeling. You will have to boil them & peel them again. It is a lot of work but the end result taste lovely & apart!
3. The 3rd picture is after boiling for 3 to 5 minutes. Pouring them in ice water to cool off immediately. Let them get cold. Peel for the 2nd time & you will end up with a lot less amount of beans. I had 145 gr left over of shelled fava beans. But they taste is awesome!
4. Take a food processor & add the 2nd shelled fava beans. Add the cut up cloves of garlic, cumin, za’tar, sea salt flakes & a few good drizzles of fruity EVOO & divide it all evenly in the food processor. Pulse or mix until it is all finely mixed up. Taste! It has to taste lovely! If not, add a bit of za’tar or sea salt or if it is too dry add a bit of the EVOO. Just look at the picture down below how mine was. Just spread the fava bean spread on your open sliced ciabatta. Top with 1 layer of smoked salmon. Top with home-grown or bought garden cress.
5. Now, make the sort of guacamole. Clean your foodprocessor. When dry, use it again. Add the flesh of the avocados, add the cilantro leaves, the red-hot chili pepper rings, the cut up tomato & the lime sauce evenly divided in the food processor. Blitz or mix until it is still a bit chunky!
Taste! It all taste smooth & lovely! A bit kicked up too!
7. Take the other open sliced ciabattas & smear the sort of guacamole on it. Lay in 1 layer the smoked salmon on top & top with homegrown watercress. This is an open-faced sandwich.
This is best enjoyed with your loved one! Yum!
♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!