I so much love this easy yet so tasty festive soup. It is sort of onion soup but apples, apple cider, bay leaves, thyme & vegetable stock are added. Just before serving, a handful of grated Gruyère is added in the middle & chopped chives are scattered around the cheese!
Recipe: For 6 persons, 1 bowl of soup
800 gr of white , peeled & sliced onions ( weighted when peeled & sliced )
2 medium leeks, well washed, cleaned & finely sliced
2 eating apples, I used Granny Smith, peeled, cored out, cut into little chunks from 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm
2 medium potatoes, peeled & finely cut up
150 ml of cider brut, I used Duché de Longueville, cider brut! I love this Normandy cider.
1100 ml of gluten-free vegetable stock
3 dried bay leaves
4 long sprigs of fresh thyme, washed & pad dry on kitchen paper
gluten-free baking margarine : about 75 gr.
** To serve:
200 gr grated Gruyère cheese
about 10 long fresh chives sprigs, washed, cleaned & pad dry on kitchen paper
1. Take a large & wide cooking pot & heat up on a medium high heat. Add baking margarine or more.
When the butter has melted & sizzles, add the sliced onions, leeks & apples. Fry for about 15 minutes , with the lid on, stirring frequently until they all have softened.
2. Add the potatoes & the cider. Stir often. Bring to the boil & cook for 2 to 5 minutes until the volume from the cider has reduced a bit.
3. Add the vegetable stock, bay leaves & thyme sprigs. Reduce the heat to simmer point & place the lid on the pot. Simmer the soup for another 25 to 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
4. Remove the 3 bay leaves & lift out the 4 thyme sprigs.
5. Liquidize the soup until you have it to your liking. I puréed mine all the way.
6. Just before serving: ladle your soup into festive soup bowls. Take about a handful of the grated Gruyère cheese & lay it in the middle of the soup. With the help of scissors, snip the chives into little pieces & scatter around the grated cheese.
Enjoy!! Stay Tuned! If you liked this post & want more of them, join 1,310 email followers! Subscribe by email! It is free!
Follow me on Facebook too! :)