A tasty & alternative soup using Brussels Sprouts!
This is one lovely soup. It is from Sophie Grigson!!! She is a very well-known English cook. I am a real fan of her recipes & writing. I have 2 books of her.
This is a caramelized onion & Brussels sprouts soup. It takes a lot of time to make but it is so worth it.
Recipe: For 6 persons, each 1 bowl
450 gr white onions, peeled & finely chopped ( weighted when peeled )
450 gr Brussels sprouts, cleaned, washed , bottom cut off, cut into 2 horizontally ( weighted when cleaned )
1 tablespoon of raw, cane sugar
1100 ml of gluten-free vegetable stock
5 long sprigs of fresh thyme, no sprigs, only the leaves, washed, pad dry on kitchen paper
finely grinned black pepper
30 gr gluten-free soy baking margarine
1. Take a large cooking pot or the pot from the steam cooker. Add the baking margarine & let it melt on medium heat. Add the chopped onions & let them fry on the gentle heat, with the lid on, for about 20 to 30 minutes until the onions are very soft & tender.
2. Sprinkle the sugar over the onions & cook, without the lid for an extra 10 -15 minutes until the onions look nearly as jam. Stir from time to time.
3. Add the thyme leaves & the Brussels sprouts. Stir well.
4. Add the stock & season with a bit of sea salt & 6 or more grinds of black pepper. Now, put the lid of the steamcooker on top & cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until the sprouts are tender & until the lid sizzles a lot. Turn the heat off & set the steam free. If you don’t have that, cook the soup for about 10 -15 minutes until the sprouts are just al dente, tender but they don’t fall apart!
5. I purée, liquidize the soup for 3/4, so that there are still pieces of onion & Brussels sprouts floating in the soup. Taste the soup. Add sea salt & pepper if necessary! The soup has to taste fab!
6. Serve in soup bowls & enjoy!!
A divine soup!!!
Comments are closed.