These are pea, mint & haloumi patties. I have made them for my husband’s birthday!
Recipe: For about 8 patties
** For the batter:
250 gr of frozen or fresh peas ( they are in season )
100 gr self-raising flour
30 gr cornstarch
125 ml of semi skimmed milk
2 eggs, well beaten
1 block of haloumi, drained & pad dry with kitchen paper, cut into 1 cm cubes
1 heaped tablespoon of fresh mint, washed & stalks removed, finely chopped
a fruity EVOO ( Extra Virgin Olive Oil )
grinned black pepper
sweet chili sauce
slices of lemon, to drip onto the patties: that adds flavour!
to fry in: a fruity EVOO ( Extra Virgin Olive Oil )
1. An hour or 2 before making these patties, you can make the batter in a large bowl & put cling film over the top & keep it in the fridge.
2. Boil the peas in boiling water until they are al dente. Por running cold water over them to keep them from stopping boiling. So they will keep the green fresh colour. Drain well. Put 1/2 of the peas in a food processor. Puree them.
3. Sift the self-raising flour & the cornstarch into a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, eggs & the mashed peas. Fold in the cubes of haloumi, the peas, the mint & some grinned black pepper. Mix slowly everything together with a metal spoon, because you won’t want the air to go out of the batter. Taste! It has to taste fab! Place cling film over the top of the bowl & put into the fridge until you are ready to fry them. The batter will have thicken by now!
4. Take a large non stick pan & pour 1 layer of the fruity EVOO in the pan. Heat up on medium high. When hot, add a large tablespoon of the mixture on side of the pan & another one at the other side of the pan & fry for about 1 to 2 minutes per side until the pattie is golden & cooked trough. Drain on layers of kitchen paper & add EVOO to the pan & do the same with the rest of the batter. Drain well on kitchen paper.
5. When you are ready to serve, take your plates, lay 2 patties on your plate, add a slice of lemon & place a little serving pot with sweet chili sauce on your plate . Put a bit of the lemon juice over the patties & dip into the sweet chili sauce!!
Enjoy!!! Stay Tuned! If you liked this post & want more of them, join 1,344 email followers! Subscribe by email! It is free!
Follow me on Facebook too! :)
Sophies Foodie Files