You know by now that I like stoemp.
Stoemp is a typical Belgian & Dutch dish.
This is a mix from boiled potatoes, then mashed & mixed with root vegetables like carrots or parsnips, braised leeks, all sort of cooked cabbages, with cooked Brussels sprouts, with spinach, endives, etc.
Usually, we mix it with pieces of bacon or with sausages. We nearly always add a fried onion with it. You can also add cream, butter, milk, herbs & spices.
Stoemp is a typical word of the patois of Brussels. You can eat stoemp is a lot of Brussels ‘ Brasseries.
Stoemp is a basic dish. It is comfort food. We eat it especially in wintertime.
I just found these lovely purple carrots in my food health shop. I thought that they looked funny & apart! When you peel them the purple colour goes off & you get messy hands! It is better that you use kitchen gloves!!
These purple carrots are a bit sweeter than the normal ones. They contain about 40% more beta carotene. You have to cook them 5 minutes less than the normal ones. They taste sweeter then the normal ones. You find an interesting link: here!
Recipe: For 3 persons
500 gr of peeled purple carrots, cut into rings, washed
750 gr of peeled normal potatoes, cut into 4, washed
1 large white onion, peeled & cut into long wedges
200 gr of smoked bacon, in pieces
Grinds of black pepper
Maldon sea salt
liquid baking margarine
1. Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain well. Keep warm.
2. In the meantime, boil the carrots & add 4 dried leaves of laurel to the cooking water. This will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Boil until al dente. Drain. take out the 4 laurel leaves. Keep warm.
3. When the potatoes are done, take a non stick pan, place it on the same heat & pour in some baking margarine. When hot, add the long strips of onion & fry until golden. add some grinds of black pepper. When done, add to the potatoes & stir well. Mash. Add a bit of Maldon sea salt, not too much because you are going to add the smoked bacon later. Add a bit of black pepper to your taste. Keep warm. I also added a bit of baking margarine to the mash.
4. Now, take a large non stick pan & pour baking margarine in it. Heat up on high. When the margarine is really hot, add the smoked bacon pieces. Fry until ready & golden. Turn the heat off. Now, take a large plate & place 2 kitchen papers on it. Take the pan & pour the bacon with the fat on it. Then, take 2 new kitchen papers & drain the fat on top of the bacon. Now, you will be left with dry bacon pieces. It is easy that way & simple to do! Add the bacon to the stoemp. Stir well.
5. Now, add the drained purple carrot pieces to the mash. Mash again. Stir untill well combined. Taste again! It has to taste fab!
6. Take your 3 plates & plate up! Enjoy!
You might like:
♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!