I made this last evening. It is a sort of stew. Chicken is rubbed in a spice blend & fried on the stove with onions, garlic & cinnamon barks. Then we add pitted dried prunes & chicken stock. We boil it down until you have a thicker sauce. Finally, we add a bit of butter to have a glossy sauce. This is yummie served with couscous. I allways use precooked couscous. So, here we go!
Recipe: For 2 persons
2 chicken fillets no skin, cleaned & cut into pieces
1,5 tablespoon of bought Moroccan spice blend / I used a bought blend of crushed coriander seeds, green chilipepper, cumin, cinnamon, red bell pepper, tomatoes & a bit of salt.
1/2 lemon, cut up in pieces , to serve with
precooked couscous for 2 persons, in grains
2 white onions, peeled & cut up in wedges
2 large cinnamon barks, broken in 2
275 ml of chicken stock
75 gr pitted dried prunes
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled & finely cut up
olive oil: 2 tablespoons
butter or baking margarine: 60 gr
1. Take a large cooking pot, I use my Creuset red pot with fitting lid because Creuset pots will keep the dish warm & hot for a very long time. It is made from cast-iron. It slowly heats up but it holds the heat long! Turn the heat on high. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil together with 40 gr of the butter or baking margarine. I use baking margarine. Let it melt.
2. In the meantime, take a plate & put the 1 tablespoon of the Moroccan spice blend in the dish. Add the cleaned chicken pieces & turn the chicken to coat with the spice blend, on both sides.
3. When the butter & oil combination has melted, add the chicken pieces in 1 layer into the hot Creuset pot. Cook the chicken for about 4 to 5 minutes or until browned on both sides. Stir frequently. Turn the heat a bit down if necessary. When done, remove the chicken pieces from the pot & keep warm.
4. Now, add the onion wedges & 2 broken up cinnamon barks. Stir frequently. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until you add the chopped up garlic.
5. Now, add the chicken pieces to the pot. Stir well. Add the 0,5 tablespoon of remaining spice blend & the lemon juice. Stir well. Add some sea salt, but not to much because the chicken stock is allready a bit salty! Add a few grinds of black pepper to taste! It has to taste fab!
Now, stir again & put the lid on & cook for about 4 minutes.
6. Now, add the stock & the pitted dried prunes. Bring to the boil. Now, reduce the heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for about 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce has cooked down & looks more as a sauce.
You do not want to cook it down to fast because when the dish is nearly ready, you add the last 20 gr of butter or baking margarine to make the sauce look glossy & then it thickens the sauce a bit!! You do this off the heat. Stir well.
7. So, from the moment you cook the chicken & sauce for the last 10 minutes, prepare the couscous according to packet instructions. Finally, add a bit of butter to the couscous. You add what ever you want to your couscous, but I kept it simple & plain, this time.
8. Take your plate & place a bit of couscous on 1 side & spoon the stew on the other side! Enjoy!!!♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!