This is a bit spicy! An Indian recipe! The chicken is marinated in a mix of yoghurt, chili, cumin, turmeric, garlic & sweet pimentón de la Vera. This is sweet smoked paprika from Spain. This has a wonderful smoked flavor.
Recipe: for 2 persons, with seconds
olive oil, a neutral one
1 white onion, peeled & finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
3 teaspoons of turmeric
( Be careful, when you use turmeric, it colours everything yellow, so when you spill it, directly remove it with a cloth otherwise you end up with stains! Also protect your hands, I put on plastic gloves when working with turmeric!! )
75 gr dried red lentils, rinsed
400 gr, this is 1 can of little tomatoes in their juice or 1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 bunch of coriander, leaves & stalks, washed, dried & roughly cut up (cilantro )
120 ml kéfir or yoghurt
1 tablespoon of sweet paprika, I use Pimentón de la Vera. I buy it at my local Spanish store.
1 small red chili, seeds removed, cut up into little slices
320 gr chicken fillets, cleaned & cut up into little chunks
1/2 lemon, cut up into wedges, to serve
1.First, make the marinade. Take a large plastic zip log bag & place the yoghurt, paprika, chili, half of the chopped up garlic & 2 teaspoons of the turmeric in the bag. Mix well. Add the stems of the coriander to the mix. Now, add the chicken pieces. Close the zip. Massage with your hands the bag. Put the bag in a fitting bowl & put in the fridge for at least 1 hour to 2 hours. This way, the chicken will be well marinated & the flesh will be spicy & yum!
2. When you are going to cook dinner, take the bowl out of the fridge.
3. Take a medium cooking pot & heat up on medium. Add a swirl of olive oil to it & heat up. When the oil is hot, add the remaining garlic, cut up onion, cumin & 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Mix well. Add some more olive oil if necessary. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion is soft.
4. On the same time, take a large non – stick pan & place on a large heat. Turn the heat on medium high. When the pan is hot, add some olive oil.
Take the chicken pieces out of the marinade & place them in the large pan. Bake until golden & cooked trough on both sides. Turn the heat off. Set aside & keep warm. The baking of the chicken will take about 10 minutes.
5. Now, we are going back to the pot with spices & onion & garlic. Now that the onion is soft, add the lentils & stir well. Cook the lentils for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes & 480 ml of cold water. Cook on a high heat until it all comes to the boil. This will take about 3 to 5 minutes. Lower the heat on medium & stir from time to time. Cook with the lid on for about 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened & the lentils are cooked. Turn the heat off.
6. Take 2 serving bowls & place the tomato lentils on the bottom of the plate.
Serve the chicken pieces on top & scatter some fresh-cut up coriander on top.
7. Serve with the wedges of lemon. When you squeeze the juice over the chicken & lentils, it improves the flavour! It gives you a lighter, more tasty flavour!
♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!