A tasty Belgian stoemp dish
Stoemp is a typical Belgian & Dutch dish.
This is a mix from boiled potatoes, then mashed & mixed with root vegetables or with braised leeks, or with carrots, or with all sort of cabbages, or with spinach, or with brussels sprouts,… Usually we mix it with slices of bacon or we serve it with sausages. We nearly always add a chopped up & sweated onion with it. You also can use cream, herbs or spices.
Stoemp is a typical word of the patois of Brussels. You can eat stoemp in a lot of brassieres of Brussels.
Stoemp is a basic dish. We make them a lot, especially in winter time.
It is comfort food.
Recipe: For 2 persons, with seconds
800 gr. potatoes, peeled & cut into 4 & washed
500 gr. green cabbage, washed, thick nerves, removed. Cut the leaves into small cuts.
1 white onion, peeled & finely diced
2 chipolata sausages or 2 normal sausages
1.Take a large cooking pot & fill with water. Turn the heat on high. When the water is boiling, put the potatoes in. Boil until tender. This is about 12 minutes.
2. Take a non stick pan & heat up on high. When hot, pour a swirl of baking margarine in the pan. I use liquid soy margarine from Alpro. When the margarine has melted, place the 2 chipolata sausages in the pan. Bake on 2 sides until ready. When it has baked for 5 minutes on both sides, turn the heat on medium.
3. When the sausages are baking, take another large cooking pot & fill it with boiling water from the kettle. When boiling, add the cut up green cabbage & cook until ready. This will take about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain & keep warm.
4. On the same heat, where the cabbage has cooked, take a little pan & heat up on high. Put a bit of baking margarine in it. When hot, add the chopped up onion. Bake until golden.Turn the heat off. Add the onion to the cabbage. I add Black Pepper, some grind down Maldon sea salt to taste.
5. When the potatoes are ready, drain, & add them to the cabbage – onion mixture. Mash everything together with a masher. Season with some freshly grated nutmeg according to taste. I taste & add some extra black Pepper & some sea salt. It has to taste really good. Put the lid back on.
6. When the sausages are ready, turn the heat off.
7. Take your 2 serving plates & put it on the plates.
My husband always eats it with some good mustard.
♥ Stay Tuned & subscribe by email! Join 1,800 email subscribers now!!! It is free!!!! Click the link here below to subscribe!!!
You might like:
Comments are closed.