Sheep ricotta is soled at the markets in Brussels. You can also find it in Italian delicacy shops or by a deli caterer. Sheep ricotta is creamy & smooth. It is sold in 500 grams containers. It is delicious spread on spelt bread, on it’s own or drizzled with some good honey & some fresh fruit on top of it.
You can also use it in pasta dishes like cannelloni, lasagna, or as a filling for pies, pastries, in desserts, baking…
It is also lovely in combination with spinach, Swiss chard, etc.
For 2 persons, with seconds
300 gr. farfalle
2 cloves of garlic, peeled & finely chopped
470 gr. organic spinach or home-grown.
205 gr. sheep ricotta
Parmesan cheese, in shavings
Pine nuts, a 1/2 handful
1. Cut the rough stems of the spinach. In organic spinach, there is a lot of dirt. Wash the spinach thoroughly & spin dry.
2. Heat a pot on high heat & put the lid on.
3. Take a pan & turn the heat on high. Place the pine nuts in the pan. Roast for about 5 minutes until browned. Shake the pan from time to time.
4. On another heat, take a large pot & place the spinach in the pot, along with a little bit of hot water & put the lid on. Turn the heat on medium high.
5. When the nuts are ready, put in a bowl.
6. In that same pan, put 1 tablespoon of olive oil & heat up. Place the 2 cloves of garlic in the hot oil. Fry until golden. Turn of the heat of. Set the pan aside.
7. Put the pasta in the hot boiling water. Cook according to the packet instructions until al dente.
8. When the spinach is nearly ready, grate some fresh nutmeg over the spinach. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
9. Put the ricotta in the pot with the spinach & heat up. Let the ricotta melt in to the spinach. I always put a little bit of the hot cooking water of the pasta in to the spinach ricotta-mixture, to loosen the ricotta a bit. Stir from time to time with a wooden spoon. Season according to taste! I do not use salt because the ricotta is already a bit salty!!
10. Finally, when the pasta is al dente, drain the pasta. Turn the heat of.
11. Pour the pasta in the spinach ricotta mixture. Stir everything to combine. Add the garlic & the roasted pine nuts. Heat up a little bit. Taste again.
12. Put the pasta mix in a serving bowl & top with the Parmesan shavings!
Stay Tuned! If you liked this post & want more of them, join 1,377 email followers! Subscribe by email! It is free!