Today, I made this Raw, Vegan, Gluten-free Home-made sunflower seeds milk! I never made plant-based seeds milk before,…This is great for people who are allergic to nut milks! ;) Check it al out below:
A Tasty Food Gift! :)
What is sunflower seeds milk?
This is a non-dairy, gluten-free & vegan milk, often raw, obtained from raw or soaked sunflower seeds, drained & well rinsed too, 3 to 4 cups of water are added. You can add whatever you want with it. You can add vanilla extract, cacao powder or another sweetener like pitted dates or maple syrup, if you prefer that.
Mostly, people on the internet use 1 cup of seeds & 3 to 4 cups of filtered water. You can add more or less water if you like, but I love using 3 cups of water because you will end up with a lovely darker richer sunflower seed milk, creamy yet yummy!
Most of the time, they tell you to soak your seeds , just add water until the seeds are all completely covered by the water, soak them for at least at night or at least for 8 to 72 hours in water in the fridge. Why? The seeds become less raw & they are easily digested in the stomach. When these seeds are soaked, then well-drained & rinsed, they become more useful to use in raw vegan cheesecakes, in baked desserts, in muffins or in bread.
a good power blender, food processor or mixer
a large bowl to keep the strained milk in when you are using your nut milk bag
a fine nut milk bag or a cheesecloth
a clean bottle with a fitting lid
How to enjoy?
1. This is a fine drink on its own
2. Pour over cereals or muesli
3. Add a bit of it to your yoghurt : lovely!
4. Make a dessert with it.
5. Make smoothies with it
6. Use it in tea or coffee
7. This is also great used in cakes, muffins & in breads for a more added seeds flavour
8. You can use the sweetened or not-sweetened pulp in muffins, cakes, into breads like in banana breads / More recipes on this later/ I am testing recipes on the moment.
Recipe: For about 750 ml = 3 cups of strained sunflower seed milk!
3 cups of fresh water
How to soak your seeds?
1 cup of soaked raw sunflower seeds ( soaked in water for about 8 to 72 hours ) : When you soak your seeds, place them in a bowl & pour water all over it, until they are all covered up. Place a lid on & place into the fridge for at least 1 night or at least 8 hours. You will see that your seeds will get swollen & are puffed up. ( I made sunflower seeds milk with seeds that were soaked for 2 nights & they tasted much better then soaking for 3 nights! ), this will look something like this:
1 cup of soaked, rinsed & drained off sunflower seeds!
1. Put your 3 cups of water & soaked sunflower seeds in this order in your Vitamix. Blend on full power, using the tamper to push ingredients into the running blades. Blend on full power for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scrape the sides of your blender if you need to & blend on full power again for max 1 minute. Now, you will end up with about 4.5 cups of fresh home-made sunflower seeds milk, but not strained. This means with the pulp still in it. You can drink it like this but this time, I strained it by using my clean nut milk bag. I did it like this:
2. I placed my nut bag into a larger bowl. Then, poured the liquid mix into the bag. Close the bag with the added string & squeeze & squeeze until all the juice is out of your nut milk bag & you end up with only the pulp in the bag & all the liquid into the pot. This will take only a few minutes. I had about 3 cups = 750 ml of milk. Pour milk in a clean bottle with fitting lid & enjoy instantly or place into the fridge. After being in the fridge, you will see separation of the liquid into the bottle. Just shake the bottle well, before using the milk. This tasty sunflower seed milk will keep in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. Place the leftover nut pulp in a pot with fitting lid & place into the fridge for later use in cookies, smoothies, banana breads & muffins! Enjoy!
I prefer to keep my home-made nut & seeds milks plain & add vanilla, cinnamon, maca powder, cacao or carob later to it when I make smoothies or hot drinks with it. Recipes will be following shortly! ;)
1/ Just before blending the soaked seeds & water!
2/ The blended water + soaked sunflower seeds with pulp!
3/ Pouring the sunflower seed milk through the milk bag with the pulp in it!
4/ Closing the nut milk bag with the attached string!
5/ Straining the milk, more & more!
6/ Straining the seed milk in the bag, more & more!
7/ The strained sunflower seed milk!
8/ Pouring the strained sunflower seed milk in a lovely clean bottle!
So, you see, it is so easy to make home-made sunflower seed milk! Go on, go & soak those seeds & make this beautiful creamy sunflower seed milk tomorrow! If I can do it, you surely can! ;) Enjoy, my lovely one’s! xxx
Stay tuned! If you liked this post & want more of them, join 907 email followers! Subscribe by email. It is free!
Sophies Foodie Files
You might like:
1. Home-made cashew milk, 2 ways!
2. Home-made cashew milks in my Vitamix & refreshing vanilla, cashew & strawberry smoothies!
3. Home-made almond milk & home-made vanilla almond milk
4. Home-made vanilla almond milk, made this time with vanilla seed paste!
5. Home-made chocolate hazelnut milk!
6. Home-made Brazil nut milk & a recipe using it!
If you liked this post, SUBSCRIBE to Sophie’s Foodie Files: It is free! RSS – Posts