Just look at it, don’t you want to dig in?
I invented this recipe to join the Virtual Vegan Potluck! Annie@ An Unrefined Vegan invited us all, to join in a Virtual Vegan Potluck! It is like a fabulous vegan dinner with all foods, in all categories vegan, like from appetizers to desserts! If you wanted to take part, you could choose which part or in which group you wanted to make a vegan food dish. I chose: salads, because recently, I had made a lot of vegan desserts & wanted to challenge myself too. So, I invented this tasty vegan salad aka vegan beetroot, pear, gherkin sour veganaise salad with home-made veganaise too! This is a salad that is seasonal, tasty & very refreshing : sweet, sour & peppery with the garden cress too!Not to mention: healthy! Enjoy it all!
Recipe: For about 275 ml veganaise = 1 cup + 1/2 cup!
250 ml sunflower oil / do not use another oil because of the flavour!
100 ml normal soy milk, not so sweet!
1 teaspoon of Maldon sea salt flakes, crushed
1 teaspoon of a good mustard/ I use Dijon
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1. Pour oil into your Vitamix. Add soy milk, salt, mustard, apple cider vinegar & maple syrup.
2. Blend on high power until completely smooth or to your liking. Taste! It has to taste fabulously! If not, add some seasoning extra or a bit more mustard.
If you not have a Vitamix, pour the oil first & then the rest of the ingredients into a smaller pot & use your immersion blender to purée everything well together! Taste! Adjust seasoning, if you need to or add a bit of mustard, according to your liking.
3. Use your veganaise instantly or put it in a jam pot with fitting lid & place into the fridge, for later use! I did that. If your veganaise was in the fridge for a while, stir it with a smaller spoon to combine the ingredients well together so you won’t get any separation! Enjoy it, my lovely ones!
Vegan beetroot, pear & gherkin sour veganaise salad, served on a bed of garden cress
Recipe: For 3 large portions, I made this salad as lunch! It is that filling with the French baguette pieces with vegan butter, on the side
2 beetroot, 1 large & 1 medium, cooked, well-drained & peeled, cut into bite-sized smaller chunks/You can cook them a few hours before dinner!!!! TIP: I always ware gloves when peeling cooked beetroot to prevent staining on my hands!!!
2 sweeter ripe pears, well-washed, pad dry on kitchen paper & cored, cut into bite-sized smaller chunks
5 medium gherkins in a sweet & sour dressing, rinsed & drained well, cut into bite-sized smaller chunks
1 shalot, peeled & finely cut up
1 handful of fresh dill, finely chopped, large stalks removed
80 ml home-made veganaise ( see recipe above )
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
black pepper, finely milled
2 + 1/2 teaspoons of Maldon sea salt flakes, crushed
3/4 teaspoon of Herbamare salt
garden cress for the bottom of each plate, dressed into a circle, with the tops, to the outer edge: see picture below!
To serve: crunchy French baguette pieces smeared with some vegan butter
1. Take a large bowl & ad apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds & sunflower oil. Mix up very well with a whisk & add the home-made veganaise. Whisk again. Taste! It has to taste sweet & sour like a sour cream, if not, add some more apple cider vinegar.
2. Now, add beetroot chunks, pear chunks, gherkin chunks, finely minced shalot & the finely chopped fresh dill. Mix well with a large spoon & season with black pepper, finely milled, I added 20 grins of black pepper & 2 teaspoons + 1/2 teaspoon of crushed Maldon sea salt flakes. Mix well with a spoon & taste! Add the Herbamare salt & taste again! It has to taste fantastic. Yum! You must taste the beetroot, the sweeter pear, the sour gherkins, the dill & the shalot bits too.
3. Now, plate up. Take 3 or 2 large white plates & divide the garden cress, in a circle, in the middle of each plate, with the tops, placed onto the outer circle! See picture below! Place a cook ring, diameter: 9 cm onto the bottom of each plate, on top of each garden cress circle. My circle ring was 3.5 cm upwords! Fill the mix with it, just to the top with the help of a large spoon & carefully remove the ring, so that you end up with a lovely little tower, on each plate. That’s it: it is that easy to make! To serve: crunchy French baguette pieces smeared with some vegan butter.
It was such fun creating my salad & participating in this genius vegan dinner! Check out the other ones:
Click onto the next graphics, from the Virtual Vegan Potluck! Yeah! To visit the blog that follows mine in the Potluck, click onto the Go Forward logo below!
To visit the blog that was before me, in the Virtual Vegan Potluck, click onto the following Go Back logo below:
If you liked this post, SUBSCRIBE to Sophie’s Foodie Files: It is free! RSS – Posts
You might like other beet recipes: