I am sending this dish over @ my friend’s Brittany’s blog over @ Real Sustenance for Seasonal Sunday’s! Just click onto the link & you will found out more about it!! You can take part too!
Recipe: For 2 persons with a lot of hunger
600 gr of small-sized beetroot, with skin, tops & bottoms intact
1 large white onion, peeled & finely cut up
60 ml of a good balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of EVOO, a fruity one
4 sprigs of fresh thyme, rinsed, only the leaves
3 tablespoons of orange marmalade ( I use Mac Kay’s Dundee orange marmalade )
grinned fresh black pepper
Maldon sea salt
1. A few hours before dinner, precook the beets. Boil for about 20 to 30 minutes until the beetroot are tender on the inside. Prick with a test pin or knife to see if they are well cooked. Drain well & let cool completely.
2. Just before dinner, put plastic hand gloves on before you are going to peel the cooked beetroot. Be careful because everything will turn purple & will stain!! Wipe the stains right away! After peeling, cut into wedges. Set aside.
3. Now, make the sauce. In a cooking pot, heat the EVOO. When hot, add the diced onion. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes & stir frequently. Add the rinsed thyme leaves & fry further for 2 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar & the orange marmalade & stir well. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes & add the cooked beetroot wedges. Stir & cook with the lid on for about 2 to 4 minutes until the beetroot wedges are heated trough. Taste. Add some seasoning according to taste.
4. The sauce will be slightly reduced. I served it alongside cooked potatoes & a pork chop.
If you liked this post, SUBSCRIBE to Sophie’s Foodie Files: It is free! RSS – Posts
You might like:
4. Grilled salmon with a wasabi dressing, baked potato wedges, balsamic & fresh oregano marinated beetroot slices on a bed of watercress