Recently, I made my first home-made limoncello.
I love Limoncello. Limoncello is easy to make.
Recipe: For 1 vodka bottle & 1/2 pot of limoncello= 750 ml + 350 ml= 1100 ml!!!
5 organic lemons, skin not treated with chemicals. I buy mine in my Bio food health shop.
400 gr of fine white castor sugar
500 ml of water
500 ml of unflavored alcohol. I chose gluten-free Vodka von Smirnoff.
1. Peel the lemons with a vegetable peeler. You only want the yellow skin, no pits & no white bits. Cut them into little bits & place them into a large & wide cleaned pot.
2. After all this is done, add the 500 ml of vodka to the pot. Seal the pot well with a fitting lid. Shake the pot up & down for a while so that everything is well combined.
3. Place the filled pot in a dark & cool place, not the fridge for about 1 week. Occasionally, shake the pot up & down so that everything will soak well.
4. After a week, you will see that the vodka will be flavoured with the lemon peels & will be yellow in colour.
5. Now, you take a large strainer & put a fitting bowl under it. You pour the liquid carefully trough the strainer & push the liquid out of the lemon peels, that stay behind. With the help of a spoon you push as many liquid out of the lemon peels as you can.
6. Now, you can make your syrup. Place the 400 gr of sugar in a cooking pot & add the 500 ml of water. Stir often. Bring to the boil. Let it boil for about 5 minutes until you can see trough your syrup. Take it off the stove & let it cool.
7. Now, add the cooled syrup to the vodka infused lemon peels & pour the limoncello in cleaned bottles or into clean pots. Place them into a dark place, hidden from direct sunlight for another 2 to 3 weeks. Shake the bottles from time to time up & down.
8. After 3 weeks, your limoncello will be ready!
Store : in the freezer or in the fridge. You have to drink it cold & then it is nice & lovely!
How to use?
It is lovely to drink after dinner,
to put into desserts & cakes
it is lovely in fruit salads, in cocktails, in ice creams, etc.
I also use it in my savoury dishes as you see right here:
Recipe: Marinated limoncello chicken with rice & limoncello courgettes
For 2 persons
2 chicken fillets, no skin, cleaned, cut into chunks
** For the marinade:
3 fat cloves of garlic, peeled & finely cut up
zest from 1 large lemon ( skin not treated with chemicals ) I buy mine in my food health shop
juice of that same 1 lemon
6 sprigs of fresh thyme, just the leaves ( no stalks )
125 ml of home-made limoncello
** for the rest:
EVOO ( Extra Virgin Olive Oil )
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled & finely cut up
2 small yellow courgettes, washed & pad dry on kitchen paper, ends & pits removed, if they were any, cut into long strips or wedges
2 medium green courgettes, washed, pad dry on kitchen paper, ends removed, seeds cut out & cut into long strips or wedges
a few pinches of dried Provencal herbs
15 to 20 ml of limoncello
white Thai rice for 2 persons, cooked & drained ( keep warm )
2 preheated large plates
1. Take a large Ziploc bag & place all the ingredients for the marinade in it. Add the chicken pieces & seal the bag. Massage with your hands the outside of the bag carefully. Place into a fitting bowl for when there is leakage. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour. I marinated it for 2 hours!
2. Meanwhile, you can rest.
3. When the marinating is over, take the bag out of the fridge. Take a large non stick pan & heat up on medium high. Pour 3 tablespoons of the EVOO in it & heat up. When hot, add the garlic pieces & the courgettes slices, maybe in 2 batches to the pan. Add a few pinches of dried Provençal herbs & stir from time to time. Fry until ready, but not too cooked trough. It still has to have a little bite! Place into a large serving dish with a fitting lid. Do the same with the rest of the courgettes, add a few pinches of dried Provençal herbs & a little splash of Limoncello.(15 to 20 ml ) when ready, add with the rest of the courgettes pieces. Keep warm.
4. Now, take the chicken pieces out of the marinade. Heat tha same large pan on high heat & put some baking margarine in it. When melted, add the chicken pieces & fry until tender & cooked trough, for a few minutes. Because it has marinated, the chicken will be moist on the inside & tastes absolutely lovely!
5. Meanwhile, pour the marinade into a little sauce pan & cook for 5 to 8 minutes until it has a bit cooked in. This will be your sauce. When everything is ready, plate up. The sauce still will be thin.
6. Take your preheated plates & place the rice in the middle of your plates. Spoon the courgettes mix on top & all around the rice. Lay your chicken pieces all around the rice mix & on top of the courgettes mix around the plate. Spoon the sauce over the top & enjoy!!!
If you liked this post, SUBSCRIBE to Sophie’s Foodie Files: It is free! RSS – Posts