I made this lovely sandwich today.
I had sage in my mini garden & wanted to use it. I also had veal in my fridge. I wanted a warm sandwich because it was raining outside.
Buffalo mozzerella goes beautifully together with sage, veal & rocket.
I made home made fresh red pesto to go with it. All the flavours work so well together!
Recipe: For 2 persons, each 1 bagna
* For the red pesto: ( you will get about 250 gr pesto, this is 1.5 little 170 ml jam pots )
Fresh cleaned basil, 10 gr
sundried tomatoes in oil, 135 gr, well drained, the oil saved
oil from the sundried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons
a fruity olive oil, 1 tablespoon
balsamic vinegar, 1.5 tablespoons
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled & cut up into pieces
Parmesan cheese, 40 gr, grated
Pine nuts, 3 tablespoons, dry roasted in a pan for about 3 to 5 minutes, from time to time shake the pan so that the pine nuts are evenly browned, then a bit cooled off
the fruity olive oil: 2 tablespoons extra
* For the sandwich:
2 veal cuts, thinly sliced, about 125 gr for 2 persons
4 large sage leaves
1 ball of fresh buffalo mozzerella, well drained & sliced into thicker slices
fresh red pesto
1 handfull of rocket leaves
2 bagnas, horizontally cut into 2 ( or 2 little ciabatta rolls )
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. First make the red pesto. Take a medium bowl & take the basil leaves, torn them & place into the bowl. Add the drained sundried tomatoes, the garlic pieces, the balsamic vinegar, the 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil from the sundried tomatoes & the 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Now, add the 1.5 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar. Add the grated Parmesan cheese & the 3 tablespoons of the roasted pine nuts. Mix well with a mixer or in a blender until it is smooth. Taste. It has to taste divine by now!!
3. I added the 2 tablespoons of the fruity olive oil because it was a bit too thick, just to loosen it a bit. I prefer my pesto thick.
If you want it looser, just add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the olive oil extra.
4. Now you can fill your 2 little jam pots with the pesto. Label it. You can put the pesto into the fridge & use it whenever you want. It will keep for about 2 to 3 weeks.
5. Now, for the sandwiches. Take a little non stick pan & heat up on high. Pour baking margarine in it. Add the veal slices. Season with pepper & sea salt. Fry until rosé. Fry on both sides. Set aside. Take the bottom side of the sandwiches. Smear 1 layer of the red pesto all over the base. Top that with rocket leaves, add the fried veal pieces on this, add 2 sage leaves & top with 1.5 slices of fresh mozzerella. Place these sandwiches under the grill & place the top of the sandwiches sliced side up under the grill.
6. Let it stand in the oven for about 6 to 8 minutes untill the cheese is a bit browned & a bit melted. Place the top on each sandwich & enjoy!!
You might like: